Thanks to a generous member donor we have now begun the renovation of the bunkers on the 6th hole! The project is a sizable one for our small crew but will be done completely “in house”. We will be working 7 days a week for the next 2 to 3 weeks to finish the project before the ground freezes.
Our goals for the project are..
1. Remove the front middle bunker. Regrade to allow a proper approach.
2. Locate and move any irrigation pipe and wire to allow for re-contouring.
3. Extend the front left bunker slightly to the right (towards Slocum road) to better protect the green.
4. Completely renovate the back left and front right bunkers.
5. Re-contour around the green to fix surface drainage issues.
6. Re-contour the area to the right of the green to allow for a “collection” area maintained at collar height that will capture balls that roll off the right side of the green.
7. Remove the large ash tree to the right of the green.
8. Re-sod the entire area (other than the green itself)
As work progresses I will post pictures and comments here. I will continue to update this blog post rather than add new posts daily. This will provide a better timeline of our progress organized in chronological order. To see new content just scroll towards the bottom of the page!
Here is a before and after picture that I did quickly in photoshop. The “after” picture doesn’t show the placement of the new collar, intermediate, and rough cuts. However it does give a general sense of how the bunkers will look after renovation.